Wednesday, October 29, 2014

The Absolute Official Ranking of the 10 Best European Cities, Part 1

One of my absolute favorite things about living in Europe is the chance I have to visit other cities and countries. I also can't resist comparing them and ranking them as I visit. So, without further ado, here are my favorite European cities (note: I have not visited ALL European cities. So if your favorite is missing, it could be because I haven't gone there...yet):

1) Prague


 This one is completely and unshamedly biased. I LOVE Prague--the history, the architecture, the beauty. This is my home, and I love it! No competition in this one!

What to see: Vysehrad, Namesti Miru, Charles Bridge, Mala Strana, the view from Prague Castle at night, the view from Letna Park

What to eat: trdelnik, hot chocolate from the Louvre Cafe, svíčková

2) Budapest

This one is a recent addition (since this past weekend, actually). But I officially LOVE Budapest. Not as much as Prague, but it is a beautiful city. (I also might be a little biased since I have friends who lived here and may have once almost applied to teach at a school there.)

What to see: Fisherman's Bastion, the Citadella, ride the yellow metro line

What to Eat: Gelato from Gelarto Rosa (located near Saint Stephen's basilica),
Lángos (try the one from the Lángos stand in the Central Market Hall)

3) Verona, Italy
Maybe it was because we were vitamin D deprived, and Verona was sunny, but I fell in love with this city when I visited my first year in Europe. Roman ruins, Shakespeare, and Italian charm without some of the crowds of other European cities.

What to see: Walk the streets--it's pretty! Or if you feel super touristy, check out Juliet's house. You can stand on the balcony and quote Shakespeare.

What to eat: It's Italy. Do I even need to answer this question?


 4) Paris, France

 I also fell in love with Paris when I visited my first year. My flatmate and I enjoyed just walking around and soaking up the city. I was only there for a weekend, but I would love to go back.

What to eat: Crepes, baguettes, cheese, croissants, macaroons

What to see: Notre Dame, the Eiffel Tower, the Louvre, just wander beside the Seine

5) Venice, Italy
Venice was my first European adventure, and the first city that I traveled to by myself. I went in December, when there were not that many tourists, the city was decorated for Christmas, and it was too cold for the canals to smell. (Evidently they stink during the summer months.)

What to eat: I'm pretty sure I could live off of gelato and pizza.

What to see: Get lost. Explore the beautiful streets.

Coming Soon: Cities 6-10! (I know you all will be sitting on the edge of your seats waiting for my rankings.)


No comments:

Post a Comment